Saturday, January 3, 2009

The lock

Last weekend we gave my keys to a friend so she could watch our house while we were out of town. We forgot that the garage key was on that set and so for three or four days we couldn't get into our garage. It wasn't a big deal, the only things in the garage are the motorbike and our bicycles.

Fast forward two days.

I thought I was brilliant because when we got the keys back I put the garage key on the motorbike key chain. I thought to myself, "Doug, why didn't you think of this sooner. You only use the garage when you want the motorbike. Genius."

Fast forward to this morning.

Me: "Mir, where are motorbike keys?"

Mir: "I don't know, did you take them out of the motorbike?"

Me: "(Expletive)"

So then I drove the car to class and when I got home I set to the task of somehow getting the garage open. At first I pretended I could pick the lock with a paper clip, and it took an embarrassingly long time before I gave up. Then I realized that there was a gap under the door and I might be able to hook the keys. But that didn't work because I couldn't see what I was doing. Finally I noticed that there were small slots at the top of the garage door so I combined some shelving brackets and coat hangers and went fishing for the keys. Perched on the ladder I could see them sitting there, laughing at me, along with everyone in the neighborhood. After several tries I hooked the keys and pulled, nothing, these keys would not come out of the ignition. I'm not kidding I spent a full hour tugging and pulling on those keys trying to get them out. At one point I turned the bike on and, luckily, was able to turn it off again. In the end though, I did prevail, and the door was unlocked. And now the key is safely back on the original key chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment