Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Team

I feel like children say the most interesting things here. Adult conversation seems bland and repetitive, but the kids are always saying cute amusing things. Maybe part of it is that hearing them speak in another language makes them seem so smart. Its so easy for them and such a struggle for me, I think it garners instant respect.

The other day I was having dinner at the "Supper Club" (another note for another day) with my teammate Kenton and our friend Christian and some boys who spend a lot of time at Kenton's house. It was a special night for the boys to be invited to supper club, and they were on their best behavior. As we adults chatted away in English about boring subjects, I would sneak a listen every few minutes at what the boys were talking about with each other. Here is a little snippet of conversation that I heard:

Boy 1: "Look, there are three of us drinking pepsi and three of us drinking water, its equal!"

Boy 2: "You're right!"

Boy 3: (Who had been drinking Pepsi) "Can I have some water?"

Me: "But then we won't be equal, there will be four people drinking Water and only two drinking Pepsi."

Boy 3: (With a big smile) "I'm changing teams."


THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment